Sunday, November 14, 2010

Establishing my GAME plan using ISTE NETS-T indicators

Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer articulated a four step learning plan they have called GAME. In the GAME plan, the learner begins by setting goals, then taking actions, monitoring their progress, and evaluating and extending the learning experiences. These steps are used each day in our classroom during student learning experiences. Not only are they appropriate for student learning but also my own learning. Using the GAME plan, I have selected several ISTE NETS-T indicators for myself and my growth as a teacher so as to improve my teaching practice. The first one is ISTE NETS-T 5.c. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership by evaluating and reflecting on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.

My GAME plan begins with my goal, stay current with new technologies and implement appropriate and effective applications in the classroom. My action plan is to register with online resources such as Learning and Leading with Technology. While retrieving articles over the course of my studies, I have come in contact with a variety of well informed and written online resources such as Learning and Leading with Technology. By registering with online resources I can stay current with new technologies and appropriate applications. I also plan to continue taking classes that will introduce me to new technologies and appropriate applications in the classroom. This is not confined to strictly classroom activities but can include other activities such as E-Pals so that students can communicate with students from other areas beyond our classroom and neighborhood. Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer point out that “in reflecting in action, you’ll continually think about and modify your current behaviors and thought processes that occur simultaneously with the action” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p.11.). In order to monitor my progress throughout my experiences learning and implementing new technologies that are appropriate and effective uses in the classroom, I will maintain an “in action” reflection journal. In the journal, I can note how I revised the implementation to better satisfy the needs of the students, make sure all resources and materials are available, and consider other refinements as they come up. In order to evaluate my progress, I plan to maintain a reflective journal. In the journal, I can indicate that I met my goals, how I did it, consider what went well and what did not go as well, and how to make improvements in future applications. In order to extend, I plan to look ahead and think about looking into two or three new ways to use technology appropriately and effectively.

Another indicator that I would like to improve is ISTE NETS-T. 3.c. Model Digital-Age Work and Learning by communicating relevant information and ideas effectively to students and parents using a variety of digital-age media and formats. My GAME plan begins with my goal which is to model “current knowledge of new technologies” and implement their uses in the classroom. My action plan is to develop a website to communicate with parents about what we are doing in the classroom, provide online resources for the students and parents to use at home, and provide information/directions about assignments that are completed at home to facilitate student and parent understanding. I will continue to communicate with parents via email, classroom blog, and newsletters. By modeling these actions, I am setting a venue or stage for my students and parents to participate and become involved in. This way I am encouraging both the student and the parents’ involvement. Over the course of my studies, I have learned about a variety of appropriate and effective uses of technology. These new technologies that I have been introduced to have given me the opportunity to model and use them in my classroom. In order to continue this expanding knowledge set of new technologies for me, I need to keep my eyes open to new opportunities and stay current with the fast paced technological advances so that I can facilitate there use in the classroom. In addition, I need to continue to monitor whether I have the available resources I need and continue to look for them if not. A reflective “in action” journal can be used to determine if revisions or modifications are needed in my action plan. Considerations for my reflective “in action” journal entries include whether I am effectively modeling and collaborating with students and parents and providing the needed resources. I will self-evaluate my progress in my reflective journal entries. I can consider whether the classroom environment use appropriate and effective uses of technology, am I modeling and facilitating technologies effective use, and am I collaborating with both parents and students in a manner that works for all involved. When needed, changes to the plan are implemented in order to continue to expand our use of and involvement in technologies.

Resources:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

1 comment:

  1. Dolores,
    Professional development is important in this fast moving society in which we live. I like the idea of the reflection journal for you. We always think we will remember how we tweeked an idea or lesson, but quickly forget it. I am a strong advocate for parent blogs. Most of my parents do not have access to the internet, but for the few they love the pictures, assignment or homework and monthly newsletters.

    ReplyDelete