Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reflection



In What Ways

Prior to taking the class, Understanding the Impact of Technology on Education, Work, and Society, I felt as though I had been sufficiently using technology in the classroom. At that time we were using streaming video from Discovery Education. We had 3 computers in the classroom for student use during rotations. The students used pre-approved websites and explored each site. I had a laptop for planning. We had a visualizer where we displayed assignments and materials for whole class viewing. We had a DVD player to show videos. Just before the school year we had a Smartboard installed. Over the school year teachers participated in several training sessions. I felt as if I was in a good position to present and use technologies in the classroom.


When I began this course I had not created or used a blog. I had not created a wiki. And I had not created a podcast. I was excited and anxious about what I would learn in this class. I was looking forward to what I knew would be a challenge for me. I had used a wiki to get information. I had listened to several podcast for pleasure. But I had not touched a blog. I had used some of these technologies in my personal life in a way more similar to what my sons had been doing. I must admit that I learned from my sons, my husband and just looking around the internet. As a digital immigrant, I had not yet made the connection on how to implement these technologies in the classroom.


During the class I found even more resources from the class links and colleagues assistance. The class links pointed me in the right direction. These resources were very easy to access and readily available. They also were very informative and directly related to the topic at hand. The assignments were designed to provide me with opportunities to produce a product that had relevance and was also something that I would be able to use. I can continue to work collaboratively with teachers as we work together to help each other and ultimately our students. In addition, through the Q & A I was able to ask several questions when I needed help. Several assignments were completed in a collaborative environment. Our resource wiki is one assignment where we each made contributions and revisions. We also were able to put out there (on the internet) our products for others to view, post comments, and listen to. Ultimately, I feel that my skills were developed in a guided manner from the course and instructor, in collaboration with my colleagues, having access to information, and by just being curious.


Knowledge of Technology

After completing this class I now feel more refreshed, invigorated, open, and flexible. I have a new outlook on technology in the classroom setting. My new approach will include ways to integrate technology in the learning process and as a natural part of our classroom experiences. I hope to instill in my students that the use of technologies are yet another way to approach learning. Technologies are right there for quick access, right there for immediate responses to questions and learning, right there for communicating, right there for collaboration, and right there for looking outside the walls of the classroom. As a kindergarten teacher, it is my hope to guide students as they feel comfortable questioning and learning new concepts, ideas, and philosophies. It is my hope to build the foundation for my students’ future educational experiences throughout their lives.


It is my plan to continue to expand my knowledge of technology and its integration into the curriculum. Since most of the students enter kindergarten with exposure to a multitude of technologies they are ready to use them in the classroom to grow their knowledge base. We use videos, computers, websites, and visualizers as part of our classroom instruction. Now that I am familiar with creating and using blogs, wikis, and podcasts, I plan to incorporate each in our classroom instruction. I also plan to continue to explore and stay current on new technologies and their implementation in the classroom. It seems to me, incorporating technologies that students are eager to use will help build their enthusiasm for learning. I also know that I will feel that same energy and enthusiasm as I plan and develop lessons that integrate technology more fully. I plan on continuing to pursue professional development courses focusing on incorporating and integrating technologies in the learning processes for students. I will continue to communicate with others to encourage their appreciation and understanding, and continue to develop my own, of the 21st century needs and goals for our 21st century students.


Long-Term Goals

My long-term goals include planning lessons that integrate technology such as our Helping the Earth theme. For example, in this lesson, we will use a blog to communicate with other kindergarten classrooms and with students’ parents. We will use the internet to get information on how we can use the 3Rs to reduce the quantity of things we use, reuse materials more than one time, and recycle materials to create something new. In this lesson our artifacts and communications with another class will be posted on our blog. We have already begun to examine ways to expand our lesson. It will not be a paper and pencil lesson, but one in which the students will collaborate, discuss, and determine how they can have impact on resolving the issue of conservation using the 3Rs. I plan to develop other lessons that encourage student involvement and collaboration.


My plan involves thinking about ways to integrate technology seamlessly into curriculum. We will use the smartboard more effectively and access the internet when questions come up. Students will be encouraged to work collaboratively, think more critically, participate in conversation about topics of interest, conduct hands-on activities, and draw conclusions based on information and data collected. We will use blogs to post our artifacts such as artwork or written responses, use wikis to collect information on topics of interest such as sinking and floating, and make podcasts about our classroom experiences.


I will continue to explore the internet for resources and ideas. If I have a question, I know where I can get the answer. I too can use the internet more fully to get answers to my questions including how to implement technology in the classroom. When looking for information on how to get my podcast to work, I was running into a road block. I had set up the podcast site, recorded the students voices with audacity, but the audio did not work on the podcast. Then I finally looked up audacity and podcasting on You-Tube and found my answer. In the past, I would not have thought about using You-Tube. I felt like I had crossed a hurdle. I had used technology to the get answer I needed. Now I know that I can continue to do this. I have jumped in and am learning how to swim.

1 comment:

  1. Dolores,
    Good luck to you and your class. Will you have the class blog site posted on this blog site? I would like to be able to follow your class blog. Your positive comments and encouragement have been inspiring to me during this class. I hope to see you in my future classes.
    Connie Lewis

    ReplyDelete